Politically Correct Christmas

I spend much of my time monitoring media through alerts, social media, web reports, articles, etc.

This week I've watched as political, religious, moral and ethical arguments have been made for and against a man who happens to be on a popular TV show. I've held my tongue... as I'm conflict avoidant. But it makes me sad to think that we've become so overly sensitized - and desensitized at the same time - to go head-to-head with friends, family, colleagues and perfect strangers because our own opinions differ from his.

I'm not going to get into my personal opinion, because it's not relevant.

I am here to say that I believe political correctness has destroyed America. People are either so afraid of offending someone or so defensive about their own position that healthy discussion has gone out the window. People no longer do their own research but rely on the opinions of others to get their information. What has happened to integrity? What has happened to hard-work?

As a "millenial" I'm not supposed to have this mentality, but here it stands. If you want something, work for it; if you disagree with someone, it's not breaking the law; if someone needs help, don't kick them while they're down. Remember the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

If I wish you "Merry Christmas" and you don't celebrate it, just return the sentiment with a "Happy New Year."

Over the past few years the Christmas spirit has started to dwindle in my celebration. And this year I even had an internal struggle putting up my Christmas decorations (which is one of my favorite things to decorate for as the 11 boxes of Christmas decorations stored in my house suggests).

My hope for you and for myself is that 2014 brings more peace and love and joy and less worrying about what other people think, say and do. And maybe in 2014 I'll get all 14 boxes of decorations out and up and add a few more to brighten the entire holiday season.

Love and Best Wishes to you and yours... and a very Merry Christmas!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Faux/Foam Pumpkin Tutorial

Birth Week & Wishes

Mason Jars and OCD