Season of Change




“There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:

a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)


Seasons change and so do the seasons of our lives.

It’s funny to me how the two often coincide.

Today, I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of October
. A new month, a clean slate (or dry erase calendar…), the hope of achieving goals and reaching milestones.

Yet, it’s also the close of something else. You turn the page and the old is gone, but the memories remain. Some are full of joy and others leave scars that last a lifetime.


“Whatever is has already been,
    and what will be has been before;
    and God will call the past to account.” (Ecclesiastes 3:15)


As September is the awareness month for childhood cancer, it brings me to reflect on the lives of children I’ve encountered who have lost their battles. Children that I knew, children that I met working and volunteering for Make-A-Wish, children whose families I know that have shared their stories and impact with me that I feel connected to. I miss them and I want other people to miss them, too. Not because I want them to feel sad, but because I want them to feel compelled to continue to share the stories and search for answers and treatment for other kids.

September takes kids back to school. It’s a reminder of something I don’t have and the missing piece becomes very real in those moments that you see everyone around you experiencing.

September turns the world a little cooler. It’s in transition – between the summer and fall. Change is –very evidentially – in the air.

Today I say “so long” to a dear friend I’ve worked closely with for several years. I trained him as a volunteer to speak on behalf of a ministry he eventually became manager of. I celebrate as he takes on a new journey that God has presented, but I am saddened as I say goodbye to a co-worker. I pray that we will remain friends as he’s been an encourager, a counselor and a co-conspirator. But I know that wherever he goes, he will be loved and he will continue to love all those that he encounters and they will be better because of him.


“So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?” (Ecclesiastes 3:22)


Here are nine things that I learned in September:
  1. There are still far too many people that don’t know the facts about childhood cancer.
    Because of this there aren’t enough people fighting to make bigger, faster improvements in treatment.
     
  2. I prefer a salted caramel mocha to pumpkin spice latte.
  3. Cake doughnuts don’t contain yeast (YIPEE!!)
    Since my yeast allergy has become worse, this is a very important thing. :-)
     
  4. Impromptu trips are awesome.
    There’s not much that beats finding a little place to take a day trip. Especially in good company! {READ: My husband make an excellent co-pilot.}
     
  5. You can’t always say yes. 
  6. Not all doctors are smart. 
  7. God will never love you more than He does today. He will also never love you less than He does today. (I knew this, but it seems to have come up several times this month.) 
  8. New shoes are always the best. 
  9. I {still} really love football. 

 Don't forget to check back tomorrow for the start of 31 Days: Everything Fall


I'm now on Bloglovin' - a place that you can follow all your favorite blogs and get the latest posts in one feed. Click the button below to subscribe:

http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12940313




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Faux/Foam Pumpkin Tutorial

Birth Week & Wishes

Mason Jars and OCD